ADA & PUBLIC ACCESSIBILITY ISSUES
California and Federal regulations provide a comprehensive set of standards covering almost all important areas of accessibility for persons with physical and sensory disabilities. California's Building Standards Codes (Physical Access Regulations) are found in Title 24 of the California Code of Regulations (CCR) and are designed to comply with the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and State statutes.
Businesses in California must comply with the ADA and CCR. Falure to do so makes them a target to expensive litigation or damage claims. What business owners don't realize is that compliance is not only cost-effective, it is a good business solution.
Did you know?
- Collectively, the annual gross income of disabled Americans is over $1 TRILLION.
- In recent years, disabled americans have spent more than $40 BILLION annually in America's restaurants.
- The disposable income of disabled Americans is more than $220 BILLION annually.
If you receive a verbal or written complaint, follow up immediately:
- DO NOT ignore the letter or other complaint sent to you by a person with a disability. Letters may be precursors to a lawsuit or complaint filed with the Department of Building Inspections (DBI).
- DO respond to the letter or other complaint. You may respond by simply letting the complainant know that you take his or her concerns seriously and will consult with a professional, such as CASp inspector and/or legal counsel.
- DO consult with an attorney and/or a CASp inspector if you have not done so already.
Protect yourself from predators who use the law to their advantage. Most of the time they don't even have to enter your business. They just do what is called a "drive-by lawsuit."
If you are sued for an ADA violation, we can help you. We have the experience to provide high-quality representation to protect your interests.
We also help our clients avoid future hassles by helping them implement structural features that are in compliance with ADA requirements.
If you have questions, or if you would like to make an appointment, call us at +1 916 515-8025or use our contact form.